Saturday, October 31, 2009

Antibiotic Diarrhea--and UC?

I was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis over a year ago, I've been on meds and its give me no problems. Last week, I went in for a Ear infection and was perscribed a Antibiotic. However after two days I got diarrhea...then my diarrhea got worse and today i'm having bloody stools. Does this mean my UC is coming back?
Answer:
call your gastroenterologist right away. Upsetting the microbial balance in your colon can sometimes result in a flare. It's possible that you may need to move up to something higher than your maintenance meds. If you are just taking Asacol, you may need corticosteroids, at least until the flare fades.
Either that or the less likely pseudomembranous colitis, but you certainly want to start treatment (for both possibilities) quickly, and to plan a really pleasant day, keep in mind that your doctor will want a stool specimen.
If you are passing blood you need to get urgent medical attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net