Sunday, October 25, 2009

Am I going to be diabetic?

There is a long history of diabetes in my family the most closest one being my father. His brothers and his nephew too have it.
Recently I have had these feelings that make me think I might have it too. I have a physical scheduled with my doctor later in the week on my mom's insistence. Only today did I feel like I was going to just collapse while in my class and walking back to the subway. When I got to the subway I ate like half a garnola bar (honey and oats) and a few minutes later felt a bit better. I no longer felt shaky, nervous-type and like I was about to collapse. I dont know if it is because of improper eating or low sugar. I ame home and had ice cream and instantly regained so much energy. Would eating only half a garnola bar really make a difference? And this has happened before and Ive eaten something sweet and felt better. I just am curious and I just dont want to seem like a hypochondriach-idiot during my physical.
Answer:
Your could have diabetes (hyperglycemia) or low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) Eating 1/2 a granola can make a difference if your glucose was low, even if you were diabetic your glucose can go low. You're not a hypochondriac or an idiot you have genuine concerns, especially since it runs in your family. Actually your smart enough to know you should be checked, a lot of diabetics don't get tested until they end up in the hospital because of compilations. You should go to your doctor as soon as possible and ask for an A1C test, this is a blood test that will give your average glucose for the last 3 months. Whether you are diabetic or not you need to change your eating habits. This is a sample of what you should be eating.
Whole grains, fresh fruit and vegetables, lean meat and poultry. Stay away from the white stuff as much as possible, sugar, white bread, white potatoes, white flour, white rice etc. The less processed and closer to nature the food the better. Whole grain breads, whole grain wheat flour, brown rice and sweet potatoes are healthier choices. Exercise is also important. Good luck.
It is good that you have an awareness of the possibility that you might become a diabetic. It is much more probable that you might develop diabetes if it runs in your family
While diabetes is hereditary, that does not mean you re going to get it.
I wouldn't worry, but I would be concerned.
When you see your Dr, tell him your concerns. If he suspects you are diabetic he can order a simple blood test which will confirm or will rule out.
Even if you do have diabetes, you can adjust to it.
You WON"T sound like a hypo-idiot.
If there's anything, ANY thing on your mind, the doctor wants to know it.So don't freak out on me, get a peice of paper and write down your concerns. That way you won't forget anything.
Good luck.
Take your physical, and a glucose tolerance test, if needed. Find out what gestational diabetes is. Hope you don't have what's in my families. Best of wishes for your health.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net