Sunday, October 25, 2009

Am I on too low of a dose of Armour thyroid? One grain for almost 4 years now??

Obviously, any advise I get I am consulting with my physician,but after talking with other thyroid cases I noticed that I am on 1 grain when a "normal" dose is about 3-5 grains. I do have addisions disease as well. I take hydrocortisone and florinef for this. I have had this for about 15 years and was diagnosed with a goiter after my daughter was born. So, about 9 years I have had a thyroid condition. I had the goiter removed with radioactive iodine and started on synthroid! THAT WAS HORRIBLE! I hated that stuff but never knew there was another option! Now I feel as if I am being under treated. I'm tired,always worrying,and have headaches often. I also eat healthy and workout with no results. I'm much better than I was on the synthroid but I feel like I need more to boost my metabolism and my energy and just get back to being me. Anyone going through the same thing or did and now it's better?If so,how did you improve?
Answer:
I am more familiar with synthroid but on the armour web site they have a conversion table.http://www.armourthyroid.com/faq.html...1 grain = 100 mcg of synthroid. I take 200 mcg of synthroid, and if I remember correctly needing more than 300 mcg is rare. I think most people need 200 mcg or less.
So I am suspect of 3-5 grains being the normal dose, 3 grains in the largest pill they make. Just like 300 mcg is the largest pill of synthroid.Your dose may be too low, but if my dose was too low the doctor would change it by 12 to 25 mcg at a time and see the results. That would be 1/8 or 1/4 of a grain of armour thyroid.I had my thyroid removed, and never feel quite right. I would say I am 90%. Having too much medication will effect your sleep, I know because my endocrinologist likes to keep me slightly hyperthyroid. He was surprised it had such an effect on me, everyone is different . I see my endocrinologist every 2 months, slight differences for me, make a big difference.
1 grain is a small dose. I'm on 3 grains. If you are symptom free at 1 grain, then that's your dose. If not, chances are you aren't being dosed properly. On Armour, you do not take the morning dose before testing. You test first thing in the morning and then take the Armour. Also, your dosage of Armour should be adjusted by the free t4 and free t3, not by TSH. I will provide links below

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net