Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Any child out there with melanoma please read?

I am 15 and I was diagnosed with malenoma about 2 weeks ago. This was from a world-renowned hospital and they told me I needed surgery and a sentinel lymph node biopsy and we scheduled it very soon. My "malenoma" looked very serious and they basically told my parents I would definelty have to go on treatment afterward. Well turns out i dont even have malenoma and we didnt find this out from that same hopital either. We went to the childrens hospital in our area and they were educated in children enough to tell us I dont even have malenoma and I only have a spitznevus. Turns out the only reason the first hospital thought I had malenoma was becuase I had a shave biospy on my mole the first time I had it looked at which made it try to grow back faster and when I went and got it removed a second time they called it cancer because of the high mitosis level. So pleassee any child that has been recenlty diagnosed wiht malenoma cancer i am telling you you have to get a second opinion.
Answer:
This seems more a matter of a difference between pediatric and adult oncology. Pediatric oncology is more skilled at childhood cancers than adult oncologists . . childhood cancer is different and needs to be treated differently. I am glad that your parents took you to a pediatric oncologist, as that is the group where you belonged. My son is also treated by pediatric oncologists . . because his disease is known within that field and they have more information. Adults with the same disease often fare poorly because an adult oncologist does not have the same information or network. There appears to be an unfortunate divide between the two specialities, especially when it comes to the treatment of teenagers and young adults.Great information. Thanks.
This seems like a case on that show "Mystery diagnosis". you should watch it. You could be in grave danger, or it could just be a simple mistake.
I just went thru the same surgery - I had 2 different opinions from 2 different surgeons / cancer center in 2 different states. I'm glad you did not have to go thru with the surgery. What is spitznevus??

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net