Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Any IBS moms with breastfeeding advice?

I am 23 weeks with my first baby. I take a muscle relaxant (Bentyl) for IBS and I cannot take it while breastfeeding, because it will affect the baby's breathing. I would like to breastfeed a little in the beginning, but I have pretty serious IBS so I cannot predict what labor will do to my digestive system and if I can do without the medication for a couple of weeks or not. Anyone been through this?Anyway, my question is, should I just formula feed from the beginning, or should I try to breastfeed some so the baby gets antibodies (or at least the colustrum)? I want my baby to get all of the antibodies he needs, but again, I can't predict how I'll be feeling and what I can and can't do. I don't know if trying to breastfeed for just a week (I would supplement with formula) is even worth it. Can anyone give me some much-needed advice?Please don't lecture me on how "breast is best." I have enough guilt about this issue on my own, thanks.
Answer:
Hi. Just out of curiousity, were you ever tested for Celiac Disease is a very commone autoimmune disease and many ppl with IBS actually have it. Its worth looking into, if you havent already bc if you do have Celiac all you have to do is eat glutenf ree, and breastfeeding will be fine. You'll need no meds for it. You honestly have to dow hat is best. Perhaps if you do truly have IBS there is another medicine your doc can prescribe you that you can take. Actually I"m surprised its ok for you tot ake it durign pregnancy, usually docs try to limit meds while pregnant. So maybe your OB and GI doc can figure something out.Now to answer your question, you can try to nurse the baby the colostrum but if the drug is in your body it can still pass through the colostrum. So if the doc says not to, you should not nurse at all. Dont feel bad, yes breast is best, but not every mom can nurse. I struggled for 5 mos to nurse, did everything I could and my son still needed formula. We didnt realize til he was 11 mos old that he was tongue tied and he couldnt nurse! Well I'm preg again and u better believe I"m checking that babys tongue before we leave the hospital!! If you are not planning bfing more than a week, I'd just use formula from the beginngin honestly, bc after one week you'll get your boobs into thinking they're gonna nurse and when u cut it out sutddnely, ouch! YOu have to do what's right for you and if your IBS is so severe you cant nurse, then just formula feed! Whats most important is you to be healthy and happy for your baby!! But I'd definitely look into the celiac disease. Just a thought!!Best of luck, and congrats, Amy
Even breastfeeding for a week is better than not breastfeeding at all - but it is ok if you arent able to breastfeed. Your baby will still get everything it needs to survive with formula. Imagine not always having to get up in the middle of the night to feed your infant! When you are formula feeding, someone else can do that for you. And babies who are formula fed sleep longer at night. You sound like you are going to be a very good mother, and any decision you make will be the right one. You need to take care of yourself as well as your baby, and if you are not feeling well you will not be able to take care of him or her.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net