Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Any diabetics have trouble with Symlin?

I thought with Symlin I would get better control of my blood sugars but they tend to spike about 2 hours after I eat and it's really frustrating. I love how I use less insulin at the time, and the fact that I don't eat as much, but the highs are really worrying me.
Cant anyone else relate?? Stories would be great.I'm a type I diabetic on an insulin pump. (diabetic for 12 years and pumping for 10)
Answer:
How long have you been on Symlin? The spikes that you describe are unusual, and this is what Symlin is designed to address. I am assuming that you are compliant with both your Symlin and your mealtime insulin therapies, both taken before meals. While it is true that you must initially cut your insulin dose by 50% once you start Symlin, you must also adjust your insulin dose as you go along, depending on blood sugar levels. Work very closely with your health care provider on this. The goal is glycemic control, and this can only be achieved by following simple guidelines.
Mi father has diabetes and he is using DIABUTA is a natural product that help him to regule the glucose.He feels much better with it and is not dependent of the insuline.
Yeah, I had the same issues with Symlin. Actually, spikes occurs fairly often among Type 1's--the Symlin delays the food absorption and it hits hours later. I would have spikes about two hours post-prandial after going up to 300--so much for better control. You're a pump user--can you do a square wave bolus to handle the spike?I ended up quitting Symlin partially because of the spikes and partially because I almost died in a car wreck after a meal. The Symlin was totally unpredictable--sometimes my blood sugar would go way down fast and other times, nothing. And I always had the spikes.That said, a lot of people are having a lot of success with it. I just was not one of the lucky ones.
i hope if you visit this site wil get good answers . http://thediabeteszone.com/
I have been an insulin diabetic for 30+ years and asked my dr. to put me on symlin for weight loss. my a1c is 5.5 - 6 and he would not put me on it cause it is supposed to drop your blood sugar very fast.
it sounds like you cut too much of your insulin if your b/s are high... call your doctor and tell him this! Did you lose any weight on this?

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
vc .net